On October 12, 1758 the Virginia General Assembly founded the town
of Leesburg. It consisted of 60 acres laid out by Nicholas Minor
in the traditional Virginia plan of six criss-cross streets. Minor
had established a tavern around the intersection of the Old Carolina
Road (Route 15) and the Potomac Ridge Road ( Route 7) and named
the area "George Town" in honor of the monarch of Great
Britain. The village began to prospered when the British Colonial
Council established a Court House at the crossroads. It was renamed
Leesburg after Thomas Lee, and the historic town has been the county
seat for Loudoun County for close to 250 years. During the War of
1812, Leesburg served as a temporary haven for the United States
Government and its archives (including the Declaration of Independence
and the U.S. Constitution and portraits of early American leaders).
Early in the American Civil War Leesburg was the site of the Battle
of Balls Bluff, a Confederate victory. The Battle of Mile Hill was
fought just north of the town prior to its occupation by Robert
E. Lee in September of 1862.
Dodona Manor is the restored, early 19th century home of George
C. Marshall, a general and diplomat who was awarded the Nobel Peace
Prize. Dodona Manor gives visitors the opportunity to see an early
19th structure and grounds from the perspective of Marshall's life
in Leesburg, Virginia.
Morven Park is an historic mansion, a museum, a carriage collection,
and a public park. It was named for former owner and late Virginia
Governor Westmoreland Davis. It is on the National Register of Historic
Places and is a Virginia Historic Landmark. Click
White's ferry is the only ferry across the Potomac River, has its
Virginia terminus just outside the town. It is a cable-guided car
and passenger ferry in operation since 1828. it is located six miles
west of Poolesville, Maryland. The General Jubal A. Early carries
cars, bicycles, and pedestrians between Maryland and Virginia.
Oatlands Plantation is an estate in Leesburg operated by the National
Trust for Historic Preservation. The Oatlands property is comprised
of the main mansion and 260 acres of farmland and gardens. It was
established by George Carter in 1798 on 3,408 acres of farmland.
It started as a wheat farm, but expanded to include other grains,
sheep, a gristmill and a saw mill, and a vineyard. In 1803 Carter
began construction of a Federal mansion, a terraced garden and numerous
outbuildings. Click Here
General George C.Marshall